More About the Girls

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Save the Ta Ta's!!!! - An Aaltered Pages Challenge

Hello & thanks for stopping by today!
It's time for another Altered Pages Challenge!
This time around, it's all about the PINK!
PINK for Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!

This is my good friend Kathy today,
Dakota is constantly nibbling on her!
She is an amazing woman! She's a "Frenchy." Meaning, she was born in France, but you'd never know it until you hear her speak French! She's one of the most down-to-earth people I know! She's generous, kind, funny & a FANATSTIC cook! She's an awesome mom & I assume, wife, cuz she & her hubby Tim have been together a long time!! Several years ago they moved to the mountains & she got a horse...2 horses, 2 cats & 2 dogs later...She teaches riding lessons to all the kiddos (including Maggie) & is simply enjoying life now. But it wasn't always so...
 
She was 1st diagnosed when she was in her early 40's. She went through a tough surgery to remove & reconstruct the one breast (no chemo or radiation). All seemed clear until she had JUST hit her 5 yr mark & was diagnosed in the other breast. Surgery again, but this time chemo & radiation was needed...during her last round of chemo, we invited them to come to Maui with us...
No hair, insert for her bra & swims suits, tired, sick feeling, but along she came for a much needed break from all the cancer chaos! She's had a much tougher time coming back from this one but it's been almost 2 years now & she's doing awesome (as you can see from the silly horse pic above!)

So, I dedicate this post & my PINK project to my good friend Kathy! May you have many, many more healthy years with us all!!!

{Sheesh! Sorry to get so wordy, but I wanted to share how breast cancer has touched our family, as I'm sure it has yours or someone close to you.}
*****
For my PINK project, I altered a Barbie! Have you ever done this? It's challenging, but SUPER fun when it's all done! 
(You can catch a glimpse of  my Travel-Steampunk Barbie HERE)
First, I sprayed her with a primer (very important step & be sure to cover her hair w/plastic wrap or it'll be grey!); then I covered her with tissue paper to add some dimension & texture - plus this allows you to "cement" the doll into the position you want when she dries (I only had polka-dot tissue on hand!!); cut out images from the following COLLAGE SHEETS & glued them to her body:
(That was a little challenging when printed on cardstock. So I reprinted them on regular computer paper & they were easier to manipulate.)
added bright pink paint to her entire body with my fingers; added PAPER FLOWER wings & flowers here & there; mixed light pink paint with gel medium & mussed up her hair (let dry in this crazy fashion!); 
 applied a spray adhesive to her body, then sprinkled with PINK German Glass Glitter. Then I embellished her head with some eye-pins, beads & breast cancer ribbon charms;
 her "SAVE THE TA TA'S" sign was made from some GLITZ "Beautiful Dreamer" paper scrap & letter stamps; covered the spool with more GLITZ paper; nailed & glued her to the spool & then finished by embellishing the spool a little. My only regret? I wish I would have put her arms up over her head with the sign!! Maybe the next one! :)~
SO, here's YOUR part of the Challenge:
Create ANYTHING in PINK! Really! ANYTHING!!!
Jean has so graciously offered up some really great prizes for those that participate in creating some thing PINK! {visit the challenge blog for more details!}
Think PINK GRAND Prize Package!
When you're done creating ANYTHING PINK & post it to your blog & link it up on the Challenge Blog. We (the DT) will vote for our favorite project & the Grand Prize winner will be announced on the AP Challenge Blog & 3 lucky runner-ups will get a COLLAGE SHEET of their CHOICE!! {The only rule for this challenge is that the project must be created FOR this challenge (can be combined with another if you have obligations to meet!) }

So, c'mon! What are you waiting for?
Go get PINK!!
OH! I almost forgot!
We'd also like you to VOTE for your FAVORITE  PINK project created by a design team member!
So be sure to stop by the Challenge Blog & vote!!
"TA TA" for now!
 






5 comments:

CarlaKH said...

How fabulous! I love it! What kind of primer do you use?

Becky Voth said...

Carla - I think it's from Hobby Lobby; called Design Master Primer spray paint. says it's "fast drying, neutral gray & improves color adhesion! for crafts, floral & home decor project!" pretty much covers anything! :)

CarlaKH said...

Thanks! I will see if Michael's has it here. We don't have a Hobby Lobby in Canada- which I dearly miss being from Texas!

DIYDesignStudio said...

You are lucky to have each other! Perfect Barbie!!!!!

Mrs. Swandog said...

I love this...you have my vote!